At Afrika Botanicals, we work directly with natural oils and sometimes forget that not everyone has the same level of knowledge. This blog explains the basics of using natural indigenous African oils on the skin.
Why are people turning to these oils, what they can do for your skin and how can we create a comprehensive skincare regimen that harnesses their power? Are they unisex?
In recent years, the beauty and skincare industry has grown toward incorporating natural oils, especially those derived from indigenous African plants like Ximenia, Mongongo, Marula, Baobab and Kalahari melon. These oils offer many benefits for your skin and can seamlessly integrate into your daily skincare routine.
Why Natural Oils for Skincare?
Natural oils have gained immense popularity due to their ability to nourish and protect the skin. Unlike some commercial skincare products that may contain synthetic ingredients or harsh chemicals, these natural oils are gentle and packed with essential nutrients.
Here are some compelling reasons why people choose to incorporate them into their skincare routines:
- Fatty Acids: Natural oils, particularly those indigenous to Africa, are rich in fatty acids that can deeply hydrate the skin, leaving it soft and supple. Fatty acids play a crucial role in skin hydration, as they help to lock in moisture, prevent water loss and maintain the skin’s natural barrier.
- Nutrient-Rich: These oils are abundant in vitamins, antioxidants and minerals that help repair and rejuvenate the skin, promoting a healthy complexion. The oils contain significant vitamins (such as vitamin E or C) and minerals (like zinc or selenium). Each of these nutrient categories plays a distinct role in supporting skin health.
- Protection: The natural oils form a protective barrier on the skin, shielding it from environmental stressors like pollution and UV rays.
- Non-Comedogenic: Another phrase is ‘non-pore clogging’, which makes them suitable for various skin types, including oily, combination and acne-prone skin, as they are less likely to trigger breakouts or worsen existing skin issues.
Your Daily Skincare Routine with Indigenous African Oils
- Cleansing: Start your day with a gentle cleanser to remove impurities and prepare your skin. Look for a cleansing product that doesn’t strip away natural oils.
- Toning: Apply a natural toner to balance your skin’s pH levels and enhance the absorption of the oils.
- Serum: Incorporate a serum infused with indigenous African oils like Marula or Baobab. These serums are packed with vitamins and antioxidants that will help protect your skin throughout the day.
- Moisturising: Apply a lightweight moisturiser containing ingredients such as Kalahari melon oil to lock in hydration and provide a smooth canvas for makeup.
- Sunscreen: Finish your morning routine with a broad-spectrum sunscreen to shield your skin from harmful UV rays.
- Double Cleansing: Start your evening routine with a thorough cleansing to remove makeup, dirt and pollutants. Begin with an oil-based cleanser to effectively remove makeup and follow with a gentle, water-based cleanser to purify your skin.
- Toning: Repeat the toning step to maintain balanced skin.
- Treatment: Use a treatment oil containing Mongongo or Ximenia oil. These oils are excellent for repairing and rejuvenating the skin.
- Eye Cream: Apply an eye cream to target the delicate skin around your eyes.
- Moisturising: Utilise a richer moisturiser with Baobab oil or a blend of indigenous oils to deeply nourish your skin while you sleep.
- Weekly Treatments: Incorporate a weekly exfoliation and mask routine using products that suit your skin type.
- Ensure you choose products with these indigenous African oils as primary ingredients.
- Perform a patch test before using any new product to check for allergies or sensitivities.
- Stay consistent with your skincare routine for optimal results.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day.
- A balanced diet of fruits and vegetables also contributes to healthy skin.
By integrating natural indigenous African oils into your skincare routine, you can enjoy their many benefits and achieve radiant, nourished skin that reflects your commitment to natural beauty.
Afrika Botanicals supplies natural oils to Moya Essentials (www.moyaessentials.com). They have a wide range of natural products incorporating our carrier oils. They also produce lip balms, cleansing balms, serums and many more.
Our upcoming blog will delve into the effects of natural oils on hair. Please watch this space!